Sunday, December 30, 2007

What a great vacation

I've just had the best vacation, and there's still more than 30 percent of it left. It's amazing to see just how big Lili is. She just so much greater of a person then I knew; not just great in quality but also development, intellect, personality, maturity. Did this just happen this week? Have I not been paying attention when I was within the working weeks? And you know what? She loves me. I'm so absolutely confident of her love. I can't really describe what a gift that is.
For the past few days when it was her bedtime, we've gotten into a routine:
She says, "Do I have school tomorrow?" and I say no.
She says, "Do you have work tomorrow?" and I say no.
She says, "Are we going to watch Star Trek movies?" and I say, "Absolutely."
Then she gives me "five" in this way my mom taught me when I was a boy by saying: Gimme five/on the side/(you make a circle with your thumb and forefinger)in the hole/you got soul! (What can I say, it was the 70s). I'm trying to stay positive and not ruin the three whole days I have left by worrying about how fast they will be gone. But when I think about our routine, I'm going to be so sad when the answer to Lili's first question is "Yes."
As for the other things on my "Christmas vacation to-do list," I am two flicks away from watching all the Star Trek movies (Sarah Mueller's goal is to end world poverty, mine is to watch 10 movies of varying quality. I'm just going to state that without comment). As the above story demonstrated, I got to watch more than a few with Lili, which was fun of course. She really digs Spock now.
I tried to fix the light in my hallway, but I really don't know what I'm doing. I got up on the ladder and realized that unless one of the wires has an error message up there, like "System Failure: Bad light switch command" I'm not really going to know what to do once I've got everything unplugged. So I either chickened out or came to my senses on that "Christmas vacation to-do" item.
But the turkey turned out great, and I still have roughly four cups of it left! Oh what bounty - I love having the basis for so many meals handy. I've run out of recipes I know, though. If you know any good turkey recipes...
I'm also so proud of Karen. Her Christmas was really awful last year, and I've just found so much happiness in sharing this year's holiday with her. I hope she feels the same way, but knowing she's an only child I know she'll welcome some time alone too.
Something else I've discovered is how beautiful the world is at about 9:30 in the morning. When I'm working that's usually my most productive time, but lately it's been the time that I've found myself in the kitchen making a cup of coffee. The sun reflects off the snow so beautifully, the world seems so warm. I wish there were some way to see the sun for a few minutes like that every day! What will I do when normalcy returns? Oh well, I'll leave that for another post.

1 comment:

k said...

i love you so much baby!