Friday, November 14, 2008

The hook is set HARD


My friend Michael gave me the Fleet Foxes CD when he visited at the end of October (by the way, he reminds me in a non-sexual way of the Salt n' Pepa song "Whatta Man" because he's got a little gift for me every time I see him. For my birthday years ago he sent me a Glenn Gould CD via Amazon that I still treasure because I couldn't believe how out-of-the-blue generous it was). But that week was a performance week, and I hadn't had a chance to transfer it to my iPod, and I hadn't really had a chance to give it the listen that his absolute praise earned it.
But I was reading some music blog and found that it had been given record of the year by some new NME spinoff and went to listen to "White Winter Hymnal." This was actually one of the songs we'd played in the car on the way home from breakfast with Michael, but my head was still filled with thoughts of my friend, and I just remembered liking it and realizing Michael's description of the band as "Crosby, Stills & Nash for the 21st Century" was pretty darn accurate.
But listening again was like seeing a woman again and realizing she's so beautiful. The hook is set deeply here, friends. I'm not just on the Fleet Foxes bandwagon, I'm playing lead guitar (or, considering the lateness of my ardor, maybe I should say I'm joining the tribute band). Whatever. If you're coming lately to these guys, you gotta listen... and maybe listen again. You'll be glad you did.

No comments: